Come and ask, answer or inform.
Throughout the period 1660-1832 the members of the Navy Board were known both singly and collectively as Principal Officers and Commissioners of the Navy. Until 1796 the Board was usually composed of officials of theoretically equal standing, some of whom supervised the conduct of specific areas of business, and some of whom, known as Extra Commissioners or Commissioners at Large, performed general duties. In 1660 the Board was composed of a Controller, a Surveyor, a Clerk of the Acts and two Extra Commissioners. From then until 1686 its composition changed regularly and the number of its members fluctuated between five and ten. The Controller, Surveyor and Clerk of the Acts were permanent members.
'Principal officers and commissioners', in Office-Holders in Modern Britain: Volume 7, Navy Board Officials 1660-1832, ed. J M Collinge (London, 1978), pp. 18-25. British History Online http://www.british-history.ac.uk/office-holders/vol7/pp18-25 [accessed 14 July 2016].
|Date from||Date to||Holder||Source|
|1660/07/13||1673/06/19||Samuel Pepys (1633-1703)||OHMB1|