Recent updates

Recent Comments

Attack on Fiume

3rd July 1813
Part of : The Napoleonic Wars (1803 - 1815)
Previous action : Surrender of Guipanna and Mezzo 17.6.1813 - 22.7.1813
Next action : Reduction of San Sebastien 10.7.1813 - 8.9.1813


United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland

English Squadron,
Thomas Francis FremantleBritish
Naval Sailor
Service 1782-1819
Ship NameCommanderNotes
Milford (74) 1809-1846
British 74 Gun
3rd Rate Ship of the Line
John Duff MarklandBritish
Naval Sailor
Service 1795-1846
Fleet Flagship
Elizabeth (74) 1807-1820
British 74 Gun
3rd Rate Ship of the Line
Eagle (74) 1804-1926
British 74 Gun
3rd Rate Ship of the Line
1918 Renamed "Eaglet"
Charles CowleyBritish
Naval Sailor
Service 1805-1813
Bacchante (38) 1811-1858
British 38 Gun
5th Rate Frigate
William HosteBritish
Naval Sailor
Service 1798-1824
Haughty (12) 1804-1816
British 12 Gun
Unrated Gun-brig

Notes on Action

On July 3rd, Rear-Admiral Thomas Francis Fremantle, in the Milford, 74, Captain John Duff Markland, with the Elizabeth, 74, Captain Edward Leveson Gower, Eagle, 74, Captain Charles Rowley, Bacchante, 38, Captain William Hoste, and Haughty, 12, Lieutenant James Harvey, weighed from an anchorage about four miles from the port. Dropping the Haughty and a division of boats to storm the mole-head battery, the other ships proceeded to attack the sea-face batteries, which mounted 15 heavy guns. Owing to a shift of wind, the arrangements could not be entirely carried out as intended; but, after the Eagle had silenced one battery, Fremantle made the signal to storm. Rowley, leading in his gig, took the fort, which he had silenced; Hoste, with Marines from the Milford, occupied another battery, which had been evacuated after a cannonade by the Milford and Bacchante. Having turned the guns of his battery against the other works, Rowley dashed through the town, regardless of the fire from the windows, and from a field piece in the main street, and chased the defenders into a large house in the chief square. By that time a party from the Milford, under Markland, had begun to open with carronades upon the building, whereupon the French gave way and fled. Hoste and Rowley joining, the remaining batteries, with the field piece, stores, and shipping, were taken possession of. In all this fighting, only one of the attackers was killed, and but 6 were wounded. Of the 90 vessels captured, about half were handed back to their owners, 13 sent to Lissa, and the rest destroyed. Ere the place was abandoned the guns in the batteries were rendered useless.

Previous comments on this pageno comments to display
Make a comment about this page

Recent comments to other pages

Date postedByPage
Thursday 11th of August 2022 06:18Benjamin Hughes
Provo Featherstone HughesBritish
Naval Sailor
Service 1804-1807
Thursday 11th of August 2022 06:09Benjamin Hughes
Provo Featherstone HughesBritish
Naval Sailor
Service 1804-1807
Tuesday 9th of August 2022 10:46Charles Lane
Sir Thomas UssherBritish
Naval Sailor
Service 1794-1838
Tuesday 9th of August 2022 05:18Tim Oakley
Monday 8th of August 2022 16:35Richard Rees Jones