George Frederick Ryves

RolesNaval Sailor 
Date of Birth8.9.1758CSORN
First Known Service18.11.1780CSORN
WifeEmma Graham - Married 1806ref:1059
WifeCatherine Elizabeth Arundel - Married 1792ref:1059
Son George Frederick Ryves (d.1858)ref:1059
Last Known Service27.5.1825CSORN
Date of Death20.5.1826 - Shrowton House, Dorset CSORN

Event History

Date fromDate toEventSource
18.11.1780 Lieutenant ADM 6/22/199CSORN
5.4.178316.6.1783Hector (74), First Lieutenant ADM 6/23/46ADM 6/23
4.7.1795 CommanderCSORN
26.4.179624.5.1796Capture of St Lucia 
5.17966.1796Bulldog (16), Commander and Commanding OfficerBWAS-1714
4.1798 Medea (28), Commander and Commanding OfficerBWAS-1714
29.5.1798 CaptainCSORN
18008.1803Agincourt (64), Captain and Commanding OfficerBWAS-1793
6.18037.1804Gibraltar (80), Captain and Commanding OfficerBWAS-1714
8.18031804Agincourt (64), Captain and Commanding OfficerBWAS-1793
4.18107.1810Africa (64), Captain and Commanding OfficerBWAS-1714
27.5.1825 Rear-Admiralref:1059

Notes on Officer


RYVES, GEORGE FREDERICK (1758–1826), rear-admiral, son of Thomas Ryves, of the old Dorset family, by his second wife, Anna Maria, daughter of Daniel Graham, was born on 8 Sept. 1758. He received his early education at Harrow, and in February 1774 was entered on board the Kent guardship at Plymouth. In April 1775 he joined the Portland, going out to the West Indies as flagship of Vice-admiral James Young, and shortly after arriving on the station was appointed to command the Tartar tender, carrying eight guns and a crew of thirty-three men. In her he had the fortune to capture upwards of fifty prizes, some of them privateers of superior force. In May 1778 the Portland returned to England, and in May 1779 Ryves joined the Europe, the flagship of Vice-admiral Arbuthnot, who in September appointed him acting-lieutenant of the Pacific armed ship. His lieutenant's commission was confirmed on 18 Nov. 1780, and in December he was appointed to the Fox on the Jamaica station. In her he returned to England in 1782, and early in 1783 he was appointed to the Grafton, which sailed for the East Indies; but, having been dismasted in a gale in the Bay of Biscay, was obliged to put back and, consequent on the peace, was paid off and Ryves placed on half-pay. In the armament of 1787 he was appointed first lieutenant of the Aurora frigate, and in January 1795 to the Arethusa on the coast of France. On 4 July 1795 he was promoted to the command of the Bulldog, then in the West Indies, and went out to her as a passenger in the Colossus. On arriving at St. Lucia, in the absence of the Bulldog, Ryves volunteered for service with the seamen landed for the reduction of the island, and rendered important assistance in the making of roads and the transporting of heavy guns. He afterwards joined the Bulldog, in which he returned to England in September 1797.

On 29 May 1798 he was advanced to post rank, and in April 1800 was appointed to the Agincourt of 64 guns, which during the summer carried the flag of Sir Charles Morice Pole [q. v.] on the Newfoundland station. In the following year the Agincourt was one of the fleet with Lord Keith on the coast of Egypt [see Elphinstone, George Keith], and in March 1802 Ryves was sent with a small squadron to receive the cession of Corfu. Afterwards, on intelligence that the French were preparing to seize on the island of Maddalena, he was sent thither to prevent the encroachment. The intelligence proved to be incorrect; but while waiting there Ryves carried out a survey of the roadstead, then absolutely unknown, and by his chart Nelson, in the following year, was led to make it his base, calling it, in compliment to Ryves, Agincourt Sound. In May 1803 Ryves was moved to the Gibraltar, in which he remained in the Mediterranean, under Nelson's command, till the summer of 1804, when the Gibraltar, being almost worn out, was sent home and paid off. In 1810 Ryves commanded the Africa, of 64 guns, in the Baltic, from which he brought home a large convoy, notwithstanding the severity of the weather and the violence of the gales. He had no further service, but became rear-admiral on 27 May 1825, and died at his seat, Shrowton House, Dorset, on 20 May 1826. Ryves was twice married: first, in 1792, to Catherine Elizabeth, third daughter of the Hon. James Everard Arundel; and, secondly, in 1806, to Emma, daughter of Richard Robert Graham of Chelsea Hospital. By both wives he left issue; five of his sons served in the navy. The eldest, George Frederick Ryves, nominated a C.B. in 1826 for distinguished service in the first Burmese war, died, a rear-admiral, in 1858.

Previous comments on this pageno comments to display
Make a comment about this page

Recent comments to other pages

Date postedByPage
Monday 3rd of August 2020 19:42Jane ElderfieldAlgerian Privateer frégate légère 'Caravelle' (1683)
Monday 3rd of August 2020 14:36Richard ReevesBritish Sixth Rate ship 'Queenborough' (1747) (24)
Monday 3rd of August 2020 04:31Jane ElderfieldFrench Privateer ship 'Le Dragon-Volant' (1689) (8)
Saturday 1st of August 2020 14:15CyThomas Noel (c.1718-1756)
Saturday 1st of August 2020 12:57Garry BallThomas Noel (c.1718-1756)