Henry Vansittart

RolesNaval Sailor 
Date of Birth17.4.1777 - London ref:1059
First Known Service21.2.1795CSORN
WifeMary Charity (d. 1834) - Married 1809ref:1059
Last Known Service23.11.1841CSORN
Date of Death21.3.1843ref:1059

Event History

Date fromDate toEventSource
21.2.1795 LieutenantCSORN
30.5.1798 CommanderCSORN
30.5.17981799Hermes (18), Commander and Commanding OfficerBWAS-1793
8.17983.2.1801Bonetta (18), Commander and Commanding OfficerBWAS-1793
3.2.1801 CaptainCSORN
4.18018.1801Thunderer (74), Captain and Commanding OfficerBWAS-1714
11.18011802Abergavenny (54), Captain and Commanding OfficerBWAS-1793
2.18028.1802Magnanime (44), Captain and Commanding OfficerBWAS-1793
5.18021803Magicienne (32), Captain and Commanding OfficerBWAS-1714
12.18026.1812Fortunee (36), Captain and Commanding OfficerBWAS-1793
7.18123.1814Clarence (74), Captain and Commanding OfficerBWAS-1793
22.7.1830 Rear-AdmiralNBD1849
23.11.1841 Vice-AdmiralNBD1849

Notes on Officer


VANSITTART, HENRY (1777–1843), vice-admiral, fifth son of George Vansittart (1745–1825) of Bisham Abbey, Berkshire, who married, 24 Oct. 1767, Sarah, daughter of the Rev. Sir James Stonhouse, bart., was born in George Street, Hanover Square, on 17 April 1777. George Henry Vansittart [q. v.], was his elder brother. Henry Vansittart [q. v.], the governor of Bengal, was his uncle, and Nicholas, first baron Bexley [q. v.], his first cousin. Having been entered on the books of the Scipio, guardship in the Medway, in October 1788, he was afterwards nominally in the Boyne, guardship in the Thames, and probably actually served in the Pegasus on the Newfoundland station in 1791. In 1792 he was in the Hannibal, stationed at Plymouth, and in 1793 went out to the Mediterranean in the Princess Royal, flagship of Rear-admiral Goodall. During the siege of Toulon by the republican army he was severely wounded. After the evacuation of the place he was moved into L'Aigle, with Captain Samuel Hood, served at the siege of Calvi, and was in October 1794 moved into the Victory, in which he returned to England. On 21 Feb. 1795 he was promoted to be lieutenant of the Stately, in which he was present at the capture of the Cape of Good Hope, and of the Dutch squadron in Saldanha Bay [see Elphinstone, George Keith, Viscount Keith]. He was then moved into the Monarch, Elphinstone's flagship, and returned in her to England. He was next appointed to the Queen Charlotte, Keith's flagship in the Channel; and on 30 May 1798 was promoted to be commander of the Hermes. From her he was moved to the Bonetta, which he took out to Jamaica; and on 13 Feb. 1801 he was posted to the Abergavenny stationed at Port Royal. In July he returned to England in the Thunderer, and, after a few months on half-pay, was appointed, in April 1802 to the Magicienne, from which, in January 1803, he was moved to the Fortunée of 36 guns. For upwards of nine years he commanded this ship in the North Sea, off Boulogne, in the Channel, in the West Indies, and in the Mediterranean, for the most part in active cruising and in convoy service. In August 1812 he was moved into the 74-gun ship Clarence, till March 1814. With the exception of a few months in 1801–2 he had served continuously from 1791. He became a rear-admiral on 22 July 1830, vice-admiral on 23 Nov. 1841, and died on 21 March 1843 at his seat, Eastwood, Woodstock, Canada. He married, in 1809, Mary Charity (d. 1834), daughter of the Rev. John Pennefather, and left issue.

Previous comments on this pageno comments to display
Make a comment about this page

Recent comments to other pages

Date postedByPage
Saturday 4th of July 2020 14:22Karen JamesHenry Morse Samson
Saturday 4th of July 2020 09:36Mark ThompsonBritish gunboat 'Gunboat No. 6' (1805) (3)
Friday 3rd of July 2020 00:38Albert ParkerJohn Midwinter (d.1753)
Wednesday 1st of July 2020 11:29Ray MiltonBritish Third Rate ship of the line 'Conqueror' (1801) (74)
Tuesday 30th of June 2020 15:47Carlos AlvarezSpanish galley 'Santa Ana' (0000) (3)